Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Gas



Gas, 1940, by Edward Hopper

Oil on canvas

I read that this painting is not a portrait of any one site, rather it is a combination of many memorable land features and road stops emerged into one, by the artist.

It gives a sense of the simpler life style in recent American years. I feel it shows the isolationism of back country living while also eloquently portraying the peaceful beauty that comes along with it. I truly like this painting because it reminds me of my childhood and makes me yearn for those long summer nights that were detached from all worries and cares about the future; people then only seemed content with those around them and the situations at hand, making it an easy, burden free escape from the hectic urban life.

1 comment:

  1. Hopper is a great American painter, truly original, not influenced by trends or styles.

    ReplyDelete